Monday, February 21, 2011

DIY Rug from scraps



DIY Rug from Scrap Material

I started making this in an effort to replace our horrible rug that's falling apart and everything seems to stick to it.
I haven't finished it yet but thought I'd show you my progress so far.  I started by sewing pieces of about 10cm wide strips of fabric together.  I put 3 rows together at the start and just kept braiding them.  I'd like a round rug which is probably the easiest so I sat it flat and hand stitched it together.
This is it a couple of weeks ago but it has grown since then.




When it's big enough to cover our lounge room floor I shall be happy.  It's a very easy thing to make anyone can plat 3 strips of fabric together.  Great way to use up all your bits and pieces left over from other stuff.  I've used old T-shirts, shorts, pajamas and whatever else I had in my scrap bag.  It reminds me of the bread bag place-mats my Granny used to make.  (I think she used to crochet them but I'm not great at knitting and crochet)
Shall show you all the finished rug when I'm happy with the size :)

The other stuff I've been pottering around with lately are a couple of pairs of pajamas for our Miss 11  and I'm going to make myself a shirt, when I get to it.  Why is it that when you want to make something for yourself it seems to get put to the back of the pile a lot??
I blew my budget this week to as my favourite on line material shop ozmaterialgirls had a sale on awesome flannel fabric which I've purchased as I couldn't control myself and besides the kids Master 9 and Miss 11 have both grown out of all their winter pajamas so what's a girl to do??  If you need quality material these girls have got it and they are nice people too:)
I've also been making puppet bodies which I'll have to show you all.  I've finished the policeman, Punch and Judy but still have 3 more to get finished.  It's a bit of a fiddly job as they're smaller scale than normal sized clothing.  Has been hard but fun and I'll show you those eventually too.  I've been a bit slack and haven't made any bags this week but did finished a quilted red messenger bag I've been trying to get finished for a couple of weeks so all effort wasn't in vain.

Hope you're all having a fantastic day.  Until next time, stay fabulous.  Luv Mel...xXx

P.S.  Here are the rabbits always eating, just thought I'd share as I think they are so cute but the brown one looks kinda evil in this photo, don't you think?

17/05/2011
Just an update on the scrap rug.
I'd like it to cover our lounge room floor but it isn't quite big enough yet.  I'm hoping to get it to a usable state by the start of winter here in June but it's already freezing cold and I'm wishing I had concentrated on the mat and not the hundred other things I'm trying to make.  Oh well, such is life, it will be finished eventually :)
Here is how it's looking now:
What takes the longest is cutting the strips of fabric and stitching them together.  If I find a faster way I'll be sure to let you all know.  Hope you're all keeping warm :)
Until next time,
Stay fantastic!  Luv Mel...xX

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you've read please follow and leave me a comment :)