Thursday, November 25, 2010

Suede clutch purse

This is my second attempt at making a clutch purse. Mind you, I have NO pattern and thought I'd use some scraps of suede I picked up somewhere really cheap.My first attempt was in a beige suede but I could see all the stitching on the back so am trying again. You can see that one in the last picture behind the olive coloured purse. It has this awesome retro fabric on the inside so I kept it for all my make-up kinda things as it didn't quite work out how I thought it would look.First I stitched the two suede squares together and found a piece of leftover fabric for the inside.Next I cut some more scraps up to make a pocket for cards ect... I neglected to do that with the first one, so this was the start of an improvement to the idea. I checked to make sure it would fit and look OK then stitched up the side seams on the pocket.I put the right sides of the suede and the inside fabric together and stitched up one end, next was working out how to put the pocket on. I had to make sure not to catch the inside fabric which was why I only joined one end at this stage.After that I had to put the zipper on the inside fabric without making the stitching show on the outside, now this took me a little while to work out and one purse later I'd got it. The first time I tried I got the inside fabric caught and the change pocket was the width of two fingers. So out came the unpicker, must be careful not to get fabric stuck where it shouldn't be when inserting a zipper. So I got one side on then folded the purse and put the other side on with almost having a brain implosion but in the end I got it on and it looks pretty good for a beginner.I joined the other end inside out, turned it in the right way then put the zipper in. I left both side seams open. Once the zipper was in I stitched up the outside seams and put a bit of cord on to keep it all together. Any tips on purse making would be greatly appreciated :PThe next one should turn out a treat, now I've had a little practice.So that's my latest sewing adventure. Have an awesome day fabulous people :) Luv Mel....xX

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Play-suit Pandemonium

Retro Play-Suit

Being a beginner, I thought I would get some cheap patterns and go from there.   Amazingly I picked up a set of learn-to-sew books all with patterns, they are kinda retro but isn't that back?  Here's a pic of just one of them and as you can see they're, well, retro!  But very simple and easy to follow patterns and instructions :)

The first thing I did was to cut the pattern out in a size 12.  I wasn't too sure what the facing was meant for but soon worked it out when I started putting it all together.  Also am starting to find that the amount of fabric the pattern says you need is often more than you really need, anyone else find this?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cut out and pinned together, I was already thinking 'maybe it's a bit big?'.

Not to worry, along I went....

 

Until it was together enough to try on and check it out so far..

 

Still needing to be hemmed and put some buttons on, now the elastic is finally in.  Great look over jeans and a T-Shirt, maybe I will start a new trend :P

The finished play-suit looks alright, maybe a little bigger than I expected it to be but it was all in proportion and there were no holes where there should be none and no extra pieces left over, so I think I did ok.Beautiful Chloe modelling her new play suit that is a little large but I'm told 'very comfy'.  Maybe next time I'll give it some pockets and try a couple of alterations that I think would work.  The basic patterns are great as a starting point, see where it goes from here!

Hope you all have a fantastic week, I'm still enjoying my fabulous tracksuit pants, I'd live in them if I could, LOL..